BBO Discussion Forums: Players needed: Challenge KO Tournament - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Players needed: Challenge KO Tournament

Poll: I'm in! (62 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want to play the BBF Challenge KO?

  1. Yes (62 votes [100.00%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 4,536
  • Joined: 2009-July-26
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:bucharest / romania

Posted 2020-September-17, 10:18

EDIT: Registrations closed.

The Tournament is posted in COMPETITIVE -> Free Tournaments. Look for the BBO Forums Challenge KO. You can click to play it, everyone who voted is pre-registered.

It will be very quick for this first attempt:

Day 1 - Monday. Qualifiers. Field gets reduced to 8
Day 2 - Tuesday. Quarterfinals.
Day 3 - Wednesday. Semifinals.
Day 4. Tursday. Finals.

12 boards, IMPs, not best hand.

Good luck!

--------------------



Hi all,

We're experimenting with a new tournament format, which consists in a series of chained challenges, where losers are knocked out. It's supposed to run as a series, over several days or weeks, and reduce the field until there is only one winner.

Wanna help us test it?

We'd like to restrict it only to BBFers for start until we sort out the format and possible bugs.

Please vote in this thread to let us know if you want to play.

Registration closes on Sunday, midnight US Eastern.

First tourney will be posted on Monday and last just a few days, maybe 3 or 4. We don't know yet, might depend on how many players register.

Thanks,
Diana

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2020-September-21, 03:14
Reason for edit: added daylong details


#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 4,536
  • Joined: 2009-July-26
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:bucharest / romania

Posted 2020-September-17, 10:20

Sorry, I deleted previous poll and posted again. It was not set correctly.

Someone had voted to play, not sure who. Please vote again, this time I will also see who you are :)

#3 User is offline   billyfung2 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 2020-January-19

Posted 2020-September-17, 12:06

Interests to join if proceed. Thanks
0

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,769
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Natick, MA
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-September-17, 12:10

Sure, sign me up
Alderaan delenda est
0

#5 User is offline   nullve 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,456
  • Joined: 2014-April-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norway
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2020-September-17, 15:41

I voted.
0

#6 User is offline   pgrice 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 56
  • Joined: 2009-July-21

Posted 2020-September-18, 01:39

I can help ... for the first round ...
0

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 4,536
  • Joined: 2009-July-26
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:bucharest / romania

Posted 2020-September-18, 02:04

View Postpgrice, on 2020-September-18, 01:39, said:

I can help ... for the first round ...


If you play very bad you won't catch the second one :)

#8 User is online   Vampyr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,438
  • Joined: 2009-September-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:London

Posted 2020-September-18, 07:06

I assume this is a teams-of-four event? Would be interested in playing.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein
0

#9 User is offline   crazy4hoop 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 274
  • Joined: 2008-July-17

Posted 2020-September-18, 07:59

I voted yes. I prefer non best hand but understand if that cannot happen.
0

#10 User is offline   sfi 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,841
  • Joined: 2009-May-18
  • Location:Oz

Posted 2020-September-18, 08:10

Do you have an estimate of the expected time (or number of boards) commitment?
0

#11 User is offline   pgrice 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 56
  • Joined: 2009-July-21

Posted 2020-September-18, 09:40

View Postdiana_eva, on 2020-September-18, 02:04, said:

If you play very bad you won't catch the second one :)


That's what I'm expecting ... not that I'm going anywhere ...
1

#12 User is offline   diana_eva 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 4,536
  • Joined: 2009-July-26
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:bucharest / romania

Posted 2020-September-18, 11:01

View PostVampyr, on 2020-September-18, 07:06, said:

I assume this is a teams-of-four event? Would be interested in playing.


It's some sort of an individual, not teams.

You join, play with 3 robots and get compared randomly with another player. A bit like the Arena Challenges, but you keep playing until you get eliminated.

#13 User is offline   diana_eva 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 4,536
  • Joined: 2009-July-26
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:bucharest / romania

Posted 2020-September-18, 11:04

View Postsfi, on 2020-September-18, 08:10, said:

Do you have an estimate of the expected time (or number of boards) commitment?


I'm thinking to make it 12 boards per day so that it's not very random. And have a total of 3 or 4 days for this first attempt.

#14 User is online   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,498
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-September-18, 11:28

IMO, a (crude) Swiss event would be interesting ....
  • You specify, in advance, the form of scoring (e.g. MPs), number of boards in a challenge (say 12); and the number of rounds in the event (depending roughly on the number of competitors).
  • In the 1st round, you play a challenge against a random competitor.
  • In each subsequent round, you are allocated a different opponent, who has roughly the same number of wins.
  • The winner is the player who wins the most matches. Ties are broken by MP score.

Advantages:
  • Everybody gets lots of games. Nobody is knocked out.
  • The winner is less dependant on chance.
  • Placings are more meaningful.

0

#15 User is offline   diana_eva 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 4,536
  • Joined: 2009-July-26
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:bucharest / romania

Posted 2020-September-18, 11:34

View Postnige1, on 2020-September-18, 11:28, said:

IMO, a (crude) Swiss event would be interesting ....
  • You specify, in advance, the form of scoring (e.g. MPs), number of boards in a challenge (say 12); and the number of rounds in the event (depending roughly on the number of competitors).
  • In the 1st round, you play a challenge against a random competitor.
  • In each subsequent round you are allocated a different opponent, who has roughly the same number of wins.
  • The winner is the player who wins the most matches. Ties are broken by MP score.

Advantages:
  • Everybody gets lots of games. Nobody is knocked out.
  • The winner is less dependant on chance.
  • Placings are more meaningful.



True, but right now we have a KO elimination movement to test :)

We'll keep coding other fun tourneys and formats of course.



#16 User is online   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,498
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-September-18, 11:39

View Postdiana_eva, on 2020-September-18, 11:34, said:

True, but right now we have a KO elimination movement to test :)

OK :) Fair enough :)



0

#17 User is offline   Joe_Old 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 156
  • Joined: 2016-December-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York, USA

Posted 2020-September-18, 13:38

If you are planning a simple KO over 4 days the most you can accommodate is 16 players, unless you run several simultaneous brackets. Or do you plan to take one winner from a group of three for the first two days (36 players), or one winner from a group of four for the first two days (64 players)? The last two days in each case being head to head.

Just kidding, since I assume that you will run several brackets. But, since you're coding this from scratch, do you plan to group players in a bracket by skill (and if so, how do you plan to determine each player's level), or will players be grouped randomly?

Personally, I'd prefer to see even an imperfect attempt at a ranking system. If this idea becomes a regular feature on BBO, perhaps a player's results in these Challenges can be recorded and used for seeding in future events.
0

#18 User is offline   diana_eva 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 4,536
  • Joined: 2009-July-26
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:bucharest / romania

Posted 2020-September-18, 14:24

View PostJoe_Old, on 2020-September-18, 13:38, said:

If you are planning a simple KO over 4 days the most you can accommodate is 16 players, unless you run several simultaneous brackets. Or do you plan to take one winner from a group of three for the first two days (36 players), or one winner from a group of four for the first two days (64 players)? The last two days in each case being head to head.

Just kidding, since I assume that you will run several brackets. But, since you're coding this from scratch, do you plan to group players in a bracket by skill (and if so, how do you plan to determine each player's level), or will players be grouped randomly?

Personally, I'd prefer to see even an imperfect attempt at a ranking system. If this idea becomes a regular feature on BBO, perhaps a player's results in these Challenges can be recorded and used for seeding in future events.


This is not a teams event... Play an Arena Challenge to see what one round will be like.

Also we aren't doing it from scratch it's already coded, we're testing and preparing to launch it. There can probably be improvements but for start we need to see how one goes.

#19 User is offline   Joe_Old 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 156
  • Joined: 2016-December-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York, USA

Posted 2020-September-18, 14:38

View Postdiana_eva, on 2020-September-18, 14:24, said:

This is not a teams event... Play an Arena Challenge to see what one round will be like.

Also we aren't doing it from scratch it's already coded, we're testing and preparing to launch it. There can probably be improvements but for start we need to see how one goes.


I may be suffering from dementia, but I'm not stupid. I know what an Arena Challenge is. Just how do you plan to reduce 38 players (currently) to one in a head to head KO format in 4 rounds?
0

#20 User is offline   diana_eva 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 4,536
  • Joined: 2009-July-26
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:bucharest / romania

Posted 2020-September-18, 14:42

View PostJoe_Old, on 2020-September-18, 14:38, said:

I may be suffering from dementia, but I'm not stupid. I know what an Arena Challenge is. Just how do you plan to reduce 38 players (currently) to one in a head to head KO format in 4 rounds?


I'm sorry, I misunderstood.

I wanted to clarify before you grab your three enthusiastic team mates, that's all... Didn't mean to offend you sorry.

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


富二代精品国产app