BBO Discussion Forums: Open cards - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open cards As dummy, to see ops's cards

#1 User is offline   ekspres 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 2020-August-15

Posted 2020-September-09, 06:36

Hi all,
I often play "Relaxed games", "Place me at first available seat".
I am new at the new display of the site, and can not perform some of the things I could in "the old days".
How can I, as dummy, during the play of the cards, see the cards of all hands?
How I miss the old version!
Thanks all.
Ekspres
0

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

  • Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,206
  • Joined: 2003-July-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Calgary, Canada

Posted 2020-September-09, 17:11

You can't, and this is a good thing.

The number of hands that were ruined by "wdp" as soon as declarer guessed the spades right, or "clm" as soon as it was obvious *to dummy* that suits split, well supersede the joy of dummy being able to back-seat-drive hands with her partner. Never mind the current panic about "everybody's cheating", imagine if you could not only tell partner the best line out of band, but the line that works on this hand!

It was a more innocent time, and a happier one. But people are people, and bridge people are impatient and like to show off. Removing their ability to do so in this case improves the bridge for all the active players in the hand.
2

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,271
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2020-September-10, 08:54

To see all the cards, do like the profis and create a second account to self-kibitz. :rolleyes: :ph34r: :lol:
(-: Zel :-)

half-wit -- Chas_P the racist
0

#4 User is offline   ekspres 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 2020-August-15

Posted 2020-September-12, 02:52

I have played on BBO for more than ten years, and I have never let me be bothered by players who cheated in the ways you mention.
Of course, I play only "Relaxed" and in "First available seat".
Sometimes opps played extremely well, but that's life. If they cheated, I had an opportunity to play against best defence.

I played for some years with my brother in Canada (I am in Denmark), and we had a Messenger connection open while we played. But we never cheated. We could have, of course.
And we could have been sitting in the same room with our computers.
Or I could have been playing with myself on two computers.

"It was a more innocent time", but I am not "people", I am not impatient, and I don't like to show off by cheating.
I could kibitz myself, but wouldn't that require two computers?

How about establishing a new field of science: "Cheating at Online Bridge"? A new field to show off in.
0

#5 User is offline   ekspres 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 2020-August-15

Posted 2020-September-20, 10:55

And how does one ask for an "undo" in this new display?
Thanks all,
ekspres
0

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,547
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2020-September-20, 14:24

View Postekspres, on 2020-September-20, 10:55, said:

And how does one ask for an "undo" in this new display?


You can guess which side I am on by the fact that I don't even know.
But you can set confirmation of bids and/or cards under Account / Settings / Playing :)
0

#7 User is offline   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 20,189
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2020-September-20, 18:19

View Postekspres, on 2020-September-20, 10:55, said:

And how does one ask for an "undo" in this new display?
Thanks all,
ekspres

If undoes are enabled in the game you're playing, it's in the hamburger menu.

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

  • Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,206
  • Joined: 2003-July-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Calgary, Canada

Posted 2020-September-21, 10:58

ekspres, note that what I explained wasn't "cheating", it was a dummy that sees that everything works and is now bored. It's really bad, but not deliberate. And definitely there are worse things possible out there.

I don't really care about cheating myself as a player - I don't play in events where it matters more than to my ego. If they want to win that way, fine. I do intensely dislike it when partner and I carefully signal to mislead declarer about a suit that splits or a finesse that's on, and dummy gives the game away with his premature celebration. I bet declarer doesn't want to win that way either, and I'm sure dummy has no clue what he's doing.

The people that want to watch the whole table by definition are bored, and are more likely to commit these "oopsies". So after proof by fire, BBO doesn't let them any more.
0

#9 User is offline   ekspres 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 2020-August-15

Posted 2020-September-22, 04:50

View Postmycroft, on 2020-September-21, 10:58, said:

ekspres, note that what I explained wasn't "cheating", it was a dummy that sees that everything works and is now bored. It's really bad, but not deliberate. And definitely there are worse things possible out there.

I don't really care about cheating myself as a player - I don't play in events where it matters more than to my ego. If they want to win that way, fine. I do intensely dislike it when partner and I carefully signal to mislead declarer about a suit that splits or a finesse that's on, and dummy gives the game away with his premature celebration. I bet declarer doesn't want to win that way either, and I'm sure dummy has no clue what he's doing.

The people that want to watch the whole table by definition are bored, and are more likely to commit these "oopsies". So after proof by fire, BBO doesn't let them any more.


Answer:
I like to watch the whole table, not because I am bored, "by definition" or otherwise, but because I might learn something from opps. I can be bored as dummy, because I can not see the reasons for their actions.
Thanks,
Ekspres

This post has been edited by barmar: 2020-September-22, 08:39
Reason for edit: fix quote formatting

0

#10 User is offline   mycroft 

  • Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,206
  • Joined: 2003-July-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Calgary, Canada

Posted 2020-September-22, 09:00

I'm sure you are. I was, back in the day, as well (although I still try to take my teacher's advice: "You don't have enough stamina to play 27 boards. Therefore, when you're dummy, check out").

You can blame the hundreds that weren't for taking it away. As someone who is declarer or defender 3 times as often as dummy, I wouldn't have it any other way.
0

#11 User is offline   ekspres 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 2020-August-15

Posted 2020-September-24, 09:45

View Postmycroft, on 2020-September-22, 09:00, said:

I'm sure you are. I was, back in the day, as well (although I still try to take my teacher's advice: "You don't have enough stamina to play 27 boards. Therefore, when you're dummy, check out").

You can blame the hundreds that weren't for taking it away. As someone who is declarer or defender 3 times as often as dummy, I wouldn't have it any other way.


Before, we could have it our way both of us. Seeing all hands as dummy could be switched off and on.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


富二代精品国产app